Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Can't Be Bought - I am Priceless



My stomach was in knots as I went into Lesson 2 – “I am Priceless”… The idea of me telling my girls that no amount in the whole world is enough for someone to buy them didn't scare me. The idea that these babies girls truly don’t know that they don’t have a price tag on them is the part that terrified me. For most of my girls it was the first time they had someone say hey, you  don’t have a price tag on you, because you are NOT FOR SALE! I was scared, I was feeling inadequate to even look at them in the eyes and declare the truth that so needed to be said. I felt the weight of Gods heart on this lesson, and the love that he has for every single one of those little girls….

In the middle of the lesson we played a little game of The Price is Right! We had a few items up for sale and basically had an auction with lots of fake money in our pockets…  Towards the end of the auction I had “sold” all of my items and realized that I didn't have anything left to sell… So I ended up putting Kim, my team mate, up for sale. Without skipping a beat the girls started to shout out money, and to my surprise they started out really low, we got up to about $2.00 USD.. . AND then we dressed Kim up, we added jewelry, lip gloss, and a fancy new shirt, and again without skipping a beat the girls were screaming prices at us. Now that Kim looked “smart” as the girls say, the price kept going up, and up, and up. A couple of the girls even asked, if I pay money what can she do for me? The class ended up stopping at about $100 USD, and 1 of the classes even told us that because she couldn't “do” much, whatever that meant, that she wasn't worth more than $100…

Ah. I just went home and cried, and cried. The girls loved the game, and didn't blink an eye when I went to sell Kim. They knew exactly how much a women was worth, and knew that when we “dressed” her up how much she was worth then. The saddest part for me was when Kim and I got to tell them, that actually you can’t buy Kim, because no person in the whole world had enough money to buy her…  That actually no one can buy YOU, their little faces were so confused and just looked so blank. It was one of the moments where my heart hit the floor and the weight of their lies they have heard their whole life were there to just stomp on my heart. That was the moment that I was afraid of.

We made all the girls stand up and search their bodies for price tags…. I could slowly see their little eyes light up when they got it, and we could hear the AH’s I can’t find my price tag slowly start to pop up. They got it. Kim and I then got to explain to them that as long as their heart is beating and their lungs are filled with air, that they will never have a price tag! We got to scream, I AM PRICELESS at the top of our lungs together, and just laugh as I watched them “secretly” searching for their price tags again to make sure I was telling them the truth!

My girls walked out of that classroom knowing that they don’t have a price tag, that they are far too valuable for any amount to ever be put on them. My prayer is that they never face being bought… But when reality sets in, and the times comes when a person does place an amount on them, I hope that they can search their little bodies for that price tag, and find the strength to walk away.

I challenge you to pray for these girls this week. When you see a price tag, just pray that truth would linger over their lives always, and that they will walk away when someone puts a price on them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment